The original Orpheum opened on October 16, 1921. At the time, it was known as Hennepin Theater and consisted of two separate structures; a long lobby extending back from a narrow facade along Hennepin Avenue, and the Auditorium which was set back and parallels Hawthorne Avenue. The restored lobby now includes six terra cotta bas relief sculptures, while the auditorium is plastered with garlands, swags, medallions, and other similar decorations. The ceiling is also known for a dome with 30,000 squares of aluminum leaves.